My school was multicultural we had all kind of races. We would celebrate for example black and Hispanic month. And be tough about the ethnic heroes of history. I would have to say that I grew up in the contributions approach. This is when they change the curriculum around to show the ethnic heroes and cultural artifacts. To learn what each cultural has done and learn to respect and appreciate everyone. The second type of approach is the additive approach. This type gives content, themes of contributions without changing the structure already in place.
The third one is the transformation approach that gives students the basics to get into other ethnic perspectives and point of views to be able to view concepts, problems and issues from someone else’s shoes. If I went back to my elementary and secondary school I would like my teachers to use the social action approach. The social approach is all of the transformation approach plus gives the student the tools to make and take actions about their own decisions and make a proper one at that. The main reason I like it is because you can use this in your everyday life. If a student is going to be someone successful and well respected. He or she needs to understand that not everything is black and white that there is also gray.
Due to the fact, when the government for example makes a decision they have to look at all cultures and religions and with that make a proper decision. With the social action approach it gives students a hand up in making political decisions that will affect many people. It teaches decision making which is an attribute that jobs look at and life time tool that is always used in any situation. The social approach I believe truly prepares a student for a life after elementary and secondary school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment